We are working on a digital ecosystem that brings value to other operators in the industry and even our competitors.
Mobile developers and digital service providers, with new services targeted both for business and consumer markets, will be able to access the construction market and be the key players in the digital construction transformation.
Our applications focus on construction execution, enhanced with machine learning techniques and big data processing.
Digital construction is real
You might feel that Digital Construction has become only a buzzword but actually a lot of amazing things are happening.
Just taking the Digital Construction Week event in London as an example:
- Building Information Modelling (BIM) integrated with collaboration and workflow tools
- IoT with intelligent sensors that retrieve information from buildings and construction sites for monitoring purposes
- SmartHome and SmartBuilding with digital devices integrated in buildings to be part of the overall digital experience of their users and improve their life
- Virtual reality solutions that allow digital exploration of buildings and other spaces
- Innovative construction techniques like modular and offsite construction and even 3D printing
Construction work and execution are areas full of opportunities to generate value that are still completely unexplored.
Focusing on execution
A big gap in the current development on digital construction is about actual construction execution. All operators in the industry know that the construction execution can become a value black-hole. The opportunities envisioned during the design are often dramatically downsized by the practicalities of the implementation.
Understanding and optimising the construction execution are crucial:
- for investors and clients to correctly evaluate risks of investments and their return
- for governments and public institutions to allocate budget for construction projects with confidence on the reliability of total cost and delivery date
- for construction companies to make a fair profit from projects of all sizes
- for financial service providers, from first-buyer mortgages to multi-billion project investments
- for all providers of disparate services for the industry
Cost estimation accuracy, risk management reliability, budget management and project execution efficiency generate value from the construction execution.
Machine learning and artificial intelligence
Any data related to construction, projects, costs, planning, property prices and more contribute to build a big set of data to learn from.
All data can be used to identify patterns and support decision making. A lot is already publicly available but not in an API-ready format, that is not directly consumable by software and applications; even more can be collected:
- planning permissions from councils
- past selling prices of plots of land and buildings from the land registry
- physical mapping of the UK territory from private companies, free, open or paid for
- retrospective data on past projects that were funded by public institutions
- past, current and future data about privately funded construction projects
All those data and more can be used to identify trend patterns and implement machine learning mechanisms to support and optimise the construction execution. Plus, data can be aggregated to extract value in new ways, opening the market to new operators.
New business models are available, opening the market to mobile developers, web service providers, tech communities and more.